Last week I was in Michaels (I big puffy heart love Michaels) and I came across this great frame on clearance. I quickly scooped it up because I love frames and I love them even more when they’re not only pretty but on sale too! Frames are great not just for displaying beloved photographs, they make lovely wall decor when they’re hung with out their backs in groups, and for other fun and easy craft projects like decorative chalkboards.
I’m sure most of you have heard of chalk board paint, you may have even read about ways to make your own at home.
I promise you that this chalk board craft is easy and has practically no mess!
Here are the supplies you’ll need.
1. A frame, any old one you have laying about the house will do, but it must have the back to it-other wise you’ll have to do a bit more work.
2. Scissors, or a paper cutting thing-a-ma-jig.
3. Chalkboard Paper (it’s like Contact Paper and it comes in a roll, in sheets, or even in fun shapes like hearts and stars!)
Directions (How to make a decorative (and functional) chalk-board frame.)
1. Measure the back to your frame, or if you don’t have a back you can find a piece of cardboard and cut it to fit.
2. Measure and cut your chalk board paper.
Steps 1 and 2 can easily be combined by placing the framing backing on to the chalk board paper and cutting about 1/2 to one inch extra around the entire frame backing.
5. Turn the backing over and press the paper down ensuring that there are no air bubbles.
6. Turn the frame backing over and lay on a flat surface and fold the edges in (much like you would a gift).
7. Next, insert the frame backing into the frame.
8 Last, secure the frame backing into the front of the frame and hang.
Since this frame was brand new I had the glass, and because of the tabbed closures on the frame I was able to place the glass int he back, just in case I ever want to use the frame for something else.
That’s it. Clean up is a breeze which allows you to get to using your new chalk board that much quicker!
My total cost for this project was $8.00 the roll of chalk board paper was $4.99 ( I’ve got a ton of paper left over for future projects) and the frame $3.
If you make you’re own chalk board I’d love to see pictures!
love & crafting,0